Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Learning More and More


Today was my second day at Milestone.  I was placed in room 3P again for today as well.  Today I began to feel a little uneasy with the students who were in my class.  Many of the previous visitors had told us that the school was such an amazing facility but that many times you found yourself being sad or feeling bad for the students who attended the school when you should be feeling happy to be there.  Today was my day to reflect on the reason that I was at Milestone and to really look at the types of students who were in my class.  It wasn’t so much about that the students were different but that they had disabilities that I didn’t understand and that I wasn’t trained to help with.  I enjoyed being at Milestone, but I felt a bit uneasy or maybe nervous is the correct word to use…again, words can’t describe but I felt very challenged by this class. 

After leaving class today, I was walking down the halls and looking at all the pictures and all the artwork that was posted on the walls and I realized that even though the students that were at this school were different than students that I had worked with in the past, they were still children that were coming to school to learn.  Whether it is to learn what 2+2 is or whether it is to learn how to buy groceries at Tesco Supermarket, they are at this school to LEARN.  Man…here I am in another country attempting to teach other children and they are teaching me more than I could ever have imagined!  I am in tears just thinking about everything that I have encountered in just two short days at Milestone.  

No comments:

Post a Comment