Monday, March 7, 2011

England-I have Arrived!!!

Hello Everyone! I hope that you have all had a wonderful Sunday afternoon.  It is 8:00pm Sunday night here in Cheltenham, England and John (the host dad) is cooking us a lovely dinner.  We have had such an exciting two days.  

I arrived at the airport in Atlanta at 5:10pm and my flight wasn't planned to take off until 9:05pm...a little excited I would say! My older brother David, nephew Ethan, little brother Levi, and my mom all took me to the airport.  


This is a picture for Grant in my class! He LOVES airplanes! 

Our plane began to load around 9:15 and we were sitting on the runway getting ready to take off at 10:20pm.  This was my first trip on a commercial aircraft and I did not think that the flight itself was too bad but Melea informed me that the turbulence that we experienced was not typical.  We had to wear our seatbelts the whole 8 hours, which is very unusual.  I was not able to get much sleep but the airplane had really good movies so that kept the time moving! As we arrived in London-Heathrow Airport, we were greeted by Roger Gill, who is a gentleman who specializes in picking visitors up from the airport and taking them to their destinations.  He drove us to Alan Winwood's house where we were greeted with a nice little brunch of quiche, roasted potatoes, and fresh salad.  We were then given "crumble" which is like our American berry cobblers and it was drizzled with custard which is Melea's new favorite food! 
This is what the fruit crumble and custard looks like.  The custard is like vanilla pudding but a thinner consistency and it is served warm. 

Alan took us to get money from the "hole in the wall" which was an ATM and then we went to purchase our bus tickets for the month that we are here.  It cost 58 pounds which is equivalent to $94.34 American dollars.  We will take this bus to and from school and around town everyday.  I have to be ready an hour before school in order to walk to the bus stop and get to school on time.  The school day starts at 8:30am and get out around 3:15pm.  

When we were at Alan's house, we found this cow on their coffee table and it reminded us of America so we took a picture of it.  They said that it was a royal cow from New York, NY in the states.  (they refer to America as "the states")






The Ford van that we were picked up from the airport in. 




All of our luggage in the trailer that Roger had to bring to the airport! We filled it completely full! 

Today, we were given the opportunity to attend a celebration for a student who was Muslim because he had memorized the entire Quran from cover to cover which is a huge accomplishment.  He will now be able to be a teacher of the Quran.  It was a great experience and we were able to try a lot of traditional foods.  Here are some pictures of the food we were served:
This is rice, chicken, lamb, and a cucumber salad.  All of the food was VERY SPICY and they served a yogurt drink (you can see it in the top left corner of the picture and it tasted like buttermilk and it was not that great but I did try it!). 

This is the Islamic dessert. We had already eaten some of it, so obviously it was good.

On this plate, there are like really flavorful cornbreads. Very spicy also.

This is a carrot dish that is sweet. It tasted similar to carrot cake without the cake part.

It is way past midnight here and I have to get up in less than 7 hours so I am headed to bed! I will update more tomorrow when I have more time and update more pictures! 


Love from England, 
Miss Dodd



No comments:

Post a Comment